Date:      Sun, 16 Apr 1995 02:49:47 -0700
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami | =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCQHUbKEI=?= =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOCsbKEIgGyRCOC0bKEI=?=)
To:        Nik.Clayton@brunel.ac.uk
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Another sup site? Removing ports?

Nik says:

 *  o If I've done
 *
 *        % make
 *        % make install
 *
 *     on a port, is there a simple way of uninstalling it? I'd have
 *     thought so, but looking at the targets in bsd.port.mk, I don't think
 *     so, and the only way to do this would be
 *
 *         % make
 *         % make package
 *         % pkg_add 'package'
 *
 *     and then I can do the required 'pkg_delete' at some later time. Or
 *     am I missing something fundamental?
 *
 * Apart from these concerns, it's all going swimmingly. So, praise once
 * more for the people of the FreeBSD team.

I should say you have an excellent viewpoint, and hit the nail right
on the head where we have been scratching our heads for years.

Fortunately, rumor is that our custom ferret hacker Jordan is going to
fix this problem in a few days by adding a fake-register flag to
pkg_add, which will be called from bsd.port.mk when you do "make
install".  This way, you can pkg_delete it without actually building a
package.

Satoshi