Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 1996 22:10:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Static vs. BootP: Try 3

Hello!  I'll rewrite it this time...

What would you suggest for managing IP assignment in a medium-sized
network?

UO Residence Networking is looking at a new solution for address
assignment in our residence hall network.  We are currently just
assigning an IP to each person that signs up.  Unfortunately, we're
hitting some of the limitations of this program, mainly getting duplicate
IP addresses even though we've been religious in our record-keeping.
Which means the students are playing with the net configurations.  :(

We've also been looking at bootp.  FreeBSD has a good bootp server, and
we have a machine available to run it.  We like this option, but then we
have to depend on a machine running, and (correct me on this) some
network cards can change their ethernet addresses.  And can someone just
plug in an IP address anyway and "hack" their way on the net and not
solve our problem at all?

As you can see, I'm pretty lost on this :)

ANY help & comments would be greatly appreciated!!

Internet:  dwhite@gladstone.uoregon.edu | Residence Networking Assistant