Date:      Sat, 22 Jun 1996 01:40:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "James E. [Jed] Donnelley" <jed@webstart.com>
To:        Thomas Pfenning <thomaspf@microsoft.com>
Cc:        Ron Minnich <rminnich@sarnoff.com>, davidg@Root.COM, smp@freebsd.org, mail@ppgsoft.com
Subject:   RE: SMP version?

At 12:33 AM 6/22/96 -0700, you wrote:
>Without getting in what Ron has to say but how could you get the
>impression this work is on message passing? He is working on shared
>memory for years now which is pretty clearly documented on his WEB site.
>What do you mean you want to run the UNICOS model but not virtual shared
>memory. SCI implements virtual shared memory when I understood it
>correctly.
>
>Don't worry, I was just getting a bit confused by your mail.

No problem.  I will try to explain how I see it.

Looking again at Ron's Web site, I can see the references to
"Distributed Shared memory" and "virtual shared memory".
I am not sure just what these terms mean, but I have a guess.
I don't see anything on the page that refers to memory sharing
hardware.

My guess is that what he is working on is essentially what
SGI refers to in their shared memory model - namely essentially
paging through the network.  You set up a shared memory map
between processors (this is a part I am interested in) so that
if a process on one machine references some memory, a
copy of that memory is moved to that machine.  If the
reference is a write then all other copies are invalidated.
If it is "another" read then copies can reside read-only
on multiple machines.

I am just hacking this wording out, but the model is pretty
tried and true.  It can work reasonably well if there is
no significant distributed "simultaneous" reading and writing
of the same memory.

What we are working on is more like "real" SMP shared
memory.  Namely with latencies in at least the 1-10
microsecond range and hardware support for "remote"
reads and writes through SCI - passing individual
cache lines and blocking instruction execution while
waiting for "remote" memory.

Perhaps this is what Ron is doing and I just didn't catch
it at first glance.  If so, it was a simple (perhaps inept)
misunderstanding.  I don't see how he can be doing
remote reads and writes of cache lines over 100BaseT.
It would seem that at least some hardware to "redirect"
memory references is needed.  I didn't see any reference
to that.

Reducing the software overhead of remote memory access
is one of the key areas that we want to explore.  Of
course even 1-10 microseconds is pretty nonuniform as
memory access goes these days, but I believe it is
worth exploring.

My comment about message passing and MPI was inappropriate.
It seems clear that he is not going down that path.

If he is doing remote memory "paging" with software
and getting latencies in the 1-10 microsecond range
then I will be interested to read further to see
how he does it.  In that case perhaps "real" shared
memory is not needed... - "virtual" shared memory
may be enough for most applications.  I guess some
applications may push memory uniformity down to the
10-100 nanosecond range, but I would guess that such
applications are somewhat unusual.

If he is doing remote memory accesses and running a
"standard" (i.e. dumb - like Unicos) SMP operating system
on his machines then we will be happy to run with his
software (should it be an available "open" Unix version
such as FreeBSD and/or Linux).

We are getting quick turn around in this dialog, but
perhaps the clarity is suffering a bit - my apologies.
I'll download the postscript from some of Ron's papers
and try to clarify my understand of what he has been
doing.  It will probably be next week before I can get
to it.  I am working only a very small portion of my time
on this effort (for some other folks) and trying to bore
directly to my needed answer to see if further effort
is justified.

Thanks for the quick responce.  I hope it helps clarify
what I am looking for.  Sorry for not being clearer.

--Jed  http://www.webstart.com/cc/jed-signature.html