Date:      Fri, 6 Apr 2001 03:43:57 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Jan Grant" <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: SSHD Problems...

This works great in networks where ssh has the least value - internal
corporate nets where the sysadmin has got to the user's workstations to
set up the secure mail to begin with. :-)  It don't work so good for
public access servers that ISP's field and the users are sshing into it for
the first time, and it doesen't work well in academic nets where ssh is the
most valuable and the users are really green.

>Maybe you can't trust users to do this; but you ought to be able to
>trust a sysadmin to preinstall appropriate host keys or make the
>fingerprints available through other channels.
>
>It is, of course, true that if you don't understand ssh you can continue
>to use it blithely unaware of security problems that may have arisen.
>And people _do_ do that :-( - generally, though, MITM attacks against
>ssh require some concerted effort. If you consider that such a threat

In a modern corporate net with subnets separated by routers and a lot
of layer-2 switching, sniffer attacks require a fair bit of effort to
mount also.  Sniffer attacks on switches in particular can cause a lot
of degredation and throw flags up all over the place, and these are what
ssh is mainly intended to protect against.  sniffing on the Internet,
of course, is the most far-fetched and difficult to accomplish of all.

>exists and is relevant in your situation, then you need to weigh it
>against the cost of user training* to get them to use the tools
>properly.

or against the cost of replacing rotten old flat hubs with modern managed
switches and monitoring them, in which case you may be able to exercise
enough control over the network to find that you don't need ssh to begin
with.

>jan
>
>* And sysadmin training, too.

Ah, but I thought they didn't allow us to discriminate against the
ignorant any more. :-)  After all, isn't that why business owners
mandate NT - because it's so easy that you don't need a high-priced
and trained admin to run your network?  At least that's what
MS's marketing department tells me. ;-)