Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 2001 10:21:19 -0700
From:      "Duke Normandin" <01031149@3web.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: too much confusion over kernel building

On 18 Jan 01 at 0:33, John Baldwin wrote:

>On 18-Jan-01 Neil Blakey-Milner wrote:

>>> It seems to me that most of the confused are usually just trying to
>>> recompile a custom kernel to add, for example, sound support.  It's
>>> ridiculous to make these people do a full world build just to be able
>>> to hear sound from their soundcard.  Obviously, if you have updated
>>> your source tree from, it's very dangerous NOT to do the buildworld -
>>> buildkernel - installkernel - installworld dance.  But it's silly to
>>> advocate that someone who just installed 4.2, and simply wants to hear
>>> an MP3 must do a full buildworld...  Just my $0.02.
>>
>> Who exactly is advocating a full buildworld?  The "new" style should not
>> require a full buildworld.  If it doesn't work, it's a bug.
>
>buildkernel assumes a worst case environment by default.  The problem is that
>there isn't the One True Way(tm) to build a kernel that works for all cases.
>buildkernel is needed when updating the system, but if you are just changing
>the kernel config and building a new kernel w/o changing your source tree, you
>should be using the old method.  I don't actually use buildkernel as it is only
>needed in very rare cases such as when crossing over a binutils upgrade
>_anyway_.

I think that my original reply got nuked for inadvertant (of course)
"excessive cross- posting" - sorry if this is a duplicate.

I know jack-shit about this stuff, because I'm too chicken-shit to screw
up my system. *However* why couldn't a script be written to *ask* some
important questions and based on the answer, execute a proper command? E.G.

Are you updating your system?
    if "yes" --> buildkernel
    else
Are you simply changing your existing kernel config?
    if "yes" --> old method
    else
are you blah
are you blah