Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 2003 18:21:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      Charles Sprickman <spork@inch.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   LAST_ACK timeout

Hello,

I recently ran into a situation on a large mail server where MSN.com had
what looks to be problems with their load balancers.  The end result of
this was that we had almost 4,000 connections in "LAST_ACK" state which
led to the box no longer being able to establish outgoing connections.  It
wasn't clear exactly what resource was being exhausted (wasn't mbufs, and
nothing at all in the logs).

I've looked at tcp(4), which lists most of the sysctl variables and boot
loader variables, but I'm not seeing a place to set the timeout on this.
Ideally I'd like to whack this down to no more than 15 minutes; I'd rather
not tie up resources on broken/evil mxers.

Under -stable is there a setting somewhere for this?

As a quick solution, we've enabled ipf on this box and it tracks state on
outgoing connections.  IPF seems to be able to age these entries out, but
that's just a temporary fix.

Thanks,

Charles

--