Date:      Thu, 6 Jun 2002 12:42:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      David Miller <dmiller@sparks.net>
To:        Miguel Mendez <flynn@energyhq.homeip.net>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: allocating memory

On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, Miguel Mendez wrote:

> Except Itanium is nowhere production ready, so you probably need
> something else, e.g. sparc or ppc. Mips is also a nice arch to work
> with, btw, unfortunately SGI hardware is extremely expensive.

Are there any estimates of when freebsd will move to 64 bits on the
upcoming sledgehammer CPU from AMD?

It's my guess that it will be the first affordable, widely available, 64
bit system out there.  The itanium certainly looks like it was a
stillbirth, and rumors have Intel working on something more like the
sledgehammer.

Thanks,

--- David