Date:      Fri, 12 May 2000 20:25:03 -0400
From:      William Freeman <wdf@picusnet.com>
To:        Sarah Wright <SarahW@nbci.com>
Cc:        "'FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Environment Variables

Sarah Wright wrote:

> Where can I find a really comprehensive list of environment variables and
> what they do? I've looked around and all the lists I've come across only
> detail 20-25. But, I'm told there are "thousands"...

the only descrpitions you're going to find in one place are built into the
shell.  there are many othets like CVSROOT that you put stuff like
:pserver:anonymous@cvs.enlightenment.org:/cvs/enlightenmnet or what ever you
want to get so you can just use "cvs login".  this is used by CVS.
similarly, GTK_CONFIG, GLIB_CONFIG, and IMLIB_CONFIG are used alot to direct
autoconf to the location of the gtk12-config, etc files, especialy for
GNOME apps.

--
William D. Freeman (wfreeman@picusnet.com)
http://memebers.xoom.com/EvilGNU