Date:      Sat, 07 Jun 1997 21:16:37 -0400
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Mike O'Brien" <obrien@rush.aero.org>
Cc:        joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu, scott@statsci.com, davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: uucp uid's

"Mike O'Brien" wrote in message ID
<199706071752.KAA06378@altair.aero.org>:
> >Depends on your viewpoint...I'm just trying to think of a way for a remote
> >system to tell an SMTP daemon that the coast is clear and available for it t
> >send the mail (rather than forcing it to have to endure network timeouts or
> >some such).
>
> Seems to me that this is what Demon (the UK ISP) does, instead of POP.
> I'm not sure of the details on how they do it, though.

At least what they used to do is use MMDF to deliver the inbound mail
to a `puntmail' queue. This seemed to be a per-machine (you got mail
for an entire machine, not just one account) queueing system. When you
logged on, you got the mail `punted' to you by some automated
trigger. Mail that arrived while you are online was periodically
delivered, presumably in some round-robin system done in the `idle'
time between login-delivery requests.

I'm surprised they're still using it ... they musta done some serious
hacking to make it scalable to 80k+ `machines'.

Gary