Date:      24 Oct 2002 16:02:05 -0700
From:      Michael Morris <memorris@christsgarden.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: backspace and del keys

Thanks for the quick response.

Both of the keys on the keyboard marked "Delete", above the cursor
movement keys and in the numeric keypad appear to do the same thing.

I have tried this inthe virtual console tty, XTerm, Konsole, and ETerm
and they pretty much behave the same.

This was done at the command line in sh, csh, and bash.  It was also
tried in vim and Some GUI apps like Evolution.

At the virtual console tty pressing the Delete key deletes the character
to the left of the cursor rather than the one below it.  In XTer and
ETerm is insets a tilde character.  In Konsole it depends which keyboard
I have selected in Settings -> Keyboard.  when the VT420PC is selected
it deletes the character to the left of the cursor.  With any of the
others selected it inserts the tilde.

In vim (console based) it deletes the character under the cursor but
cursor movement keys used while in insert mode insert control
characters.

GUI apps like Evolution and GAIM seem to work fine as well.

The keyboard is a Microsoft Internet Keyboard.  It seems to work well
with Linux (bash) and Windows.

I'm not sure what conclusions to draw from these symptoms but some
assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Michael