Date:      Thu, 12 Aug 2004 04:29:22 +0200
From:      Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Trent Nelson <tnelson@onresolve.com>
Subject:   Re: Signal 11 compiling qt33

--Boundary-02=_KYtGBQaeQBVi/hN

On Wednesday 11 August 2004 18:59, Trent Nelson wrote:

> I typically have to run 'make' about 10-15 times before Qt will completely
> build.  Compiling Qt in general is probably more strenuous on the system
> than doing a 'make world' due to the nature of their classes and such.

Indeed compiling qt is making the compiler rotate quite a lot.

> I've never seen any problems with my hardware apart from this.  I guess
> there always is the possibility I do have dodgy memory and this is the on=
ly
> thing that is stressing the system enough to make things break.

Maybe. Maybe there are some software related factors there, too (qt isn't=20
generally more sensitive to typical scenarios of ports-based installations=
=20
being inconsistent in a way that makes stuff break - like the mixed threads=
=20
libraries example. The difference is, qt very often just fails in a rather=
=20
undescriptive way, and as it seems, way more often in some places than othe=
rs=20
(uic)).

However, qt does not randomly fail on the package builders - and packages a=
re=20
an excellent way to avoid the compilation stress. :)

BTW: A new qt version has been released yesterday... I'm already busy porti=
ng=20
it.

=2D-=20
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi@freebsd.org