Date:      Fri, 09 Feb 2001 01:05:29 -0600
From:      Russell Cattelan <cattelan@thebarn.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Jack Rusher <jar@integratus.com>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>, Zhiui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Design a journalled file system

Terry Lambert wrote:

{...}

> > > I rather suspect that the GPL was intentionally chosen by SGI
> > > to permit them to jump on the Linux/Open Source bandwagon,
> > > without exposing them to the risk of a commercial organization
> > > which competes with SGI being able to benefit from the technology
> >
> >   This is unquestionably true.  I have word from some of the architects
> > who helped design XFS that this was exactly the reason GPL was chosen
> > over the BSD license.
>
> I had a pretty long discussion with their V.P. of engineering,
> who made the decision (they have a number of "V.P. of engineering"
> lying around).  He didn't come out and say the same thing, and I
> really didn't attribute it to that, since it means that any bug
> fixes are GPL-code derived, and therefore also GPL.  That would
> mean that they really don't expect any useful work to come out of
> the Linux community, or that they expected people to just sign
> over rights to anything interesting, which I think would be a bit

> naieve, to say the least.

I'm not sure who you talked with?  but it really it that simple.

The reason the GPL was chosen for XFS.

It's the license Linux is using, and since

the port is being done for Linux it makes sense.

SGI is also doing work with the XFree code, the work

is being released under the X license (which is also

an anti GPL license).

SGI is basically matching license for licensee to

whatever project they are contributing to.

This from the lawyer that is doing all the open source work.

I have stated this in the past but I will bring it up again.

If sufficient momentum can be generated toward an fbsd port

of XFS, it may be possible to go to the lawyers and have a another

license drawn up.

But unless the bsd community can show they are serious about XFS

being ported it would be a waste of time to ask for something that SGI

has very little business interesting in doing.

Note Darwin might be a big win in terms of making a business case

for another platform.

The license shouldn't be that big of an issue.

Lots of fbsd uses GPL'ed code... hmm gcc for example.

Let get to the point were XFS is in such demand on fbsd

we can get a petition going if necessary to have the license

updated.

BTW if anybody is interested a few of us have started looking

at actually doing the port.

Not much has been done at this point... basically battling through

header file cleanup.

Ohh one other comment:

The only time SGI may ask for a copy write reassignment is if the

contributed code affects the filesystem compatibility between irix and

linux. This would have to be a major contribution before something like

this would be an issue, and some negotiation will most certainly be involved.

Up to to this point all bug fixes have been linux related only so it really

isn't an issue.

This isn't SGI trying to be an ass... rather SGI trying to provide the

most compatible FS it can within the constrains of many legal issues.

--
Russell Cattelan
cattelan@thebarn.com