Date:      Sun, 19 Oct 1997 15:54:53 -0700
From:      Amancio <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Guy Helmer <ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu>
Cc:        "chat@FreeBSD.ORG" <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Linux vs. the rest of the world, poor OS comparison on web p

Well,
Yeap, I was very confused as to what boot kernel to use , I really
don't expect your typical user to be that savvy about chosing
the right boot disk execpt of course by trial and error .
Also, the two boot disk installation approach was cute however
I really felt at home went I log on to the boot installation process --
so you boot the floppy or whatever after the system comes up you
log on .

The console output felt sluggish compare to freebsd .

"make world" and cvsup on linux are  broken 8)

BTW: does anyone know whats on the "d" section of the slackware
distribution , very, very doshish if you ask me -- thats a joke
folks.

Well, I am safely back to FreeBSD 8)

	Cheers,
	Amancio

> On Sun, 19 Oct 1997, Amancio wrote:
>
> > For the first time, I installed slackware3.3  on my spare ide drive.
> > For starters, I was totally confused by the installation procedure,
>
> I too recently had to do a couple of slackware 3.3 installs.
>
> I was surprised that there didn't seem to be a way to FTP the
> installation packages during install time, a la FreeBSD.  It appeared the
> best way to install was to FTP the installation files into a FAT
> filesystem (i.e., drive C: in DOS).  And how about the bazillion
> installation boot disks from which to choose?
>
> As for the kernel, it really surprised me that I couldn't just copy a new
> kernel into place and have it boot (LILO must keep a table of addresses
> of the kernel's disk blocks for INT 13 access at boot time?).
>
> > Not sure if linux has a network install package however I couldn't
> > find it.
>
> Are you refering to the "n" package for TCP/IP?

Tnks I am going to try to setup network -- wish me luck!!