Date:      Fri, 20 Sep 2002 19:07:50 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ntpd running, clock still drifting

Scott Bolte <listS+freebsd-questions@niss.com> wrote:
 >         I recently switched from running ntpdate via cron to ntpd.
 >         While ntpd starts and runs, the clock drifts badly (over 6
 >         seconds) in just a few hours. It looks to me like ntpd is
 >         not doing anything.

Two hints:

First, add this line "restrict 127.0.0.1" to your ntp.conf.
It is required so that ntpd can access its own clock on the
local machine.

Second, when the ntpd process has run for a few minutes,
type "ntpq -p".  The output is very useful to diagnose
problems.  It contains compact information about all known
servers, including connectivity, stratum and delay.

Another command that I use sometimes to debug NTP problems
is "ntpdc -c monlist".

Regards
   Oliver