Date:      Mon, 3 Feb 1997 02:55:42 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, j@uriah.heep.sax.de
Subject:   Re: getty patches

>> BTW, I'm happy to implement this if someone comes up with the RI
>> detection in open(). An O_RI on open, perhaps?
>
>I rather think it should be an ioctl specific to those drivers that
>implement it.  Sure, it only makes sense if the state of this `enable
>RI pseudo-carrier' bit is retained across open/close, so you can open
>the port once with O_NONBLOCK set, issue the ioctl, close the port,
>and reopen it without the O_NONBLOCK.

There's not much experience with using RI.  It should be in the drivers
so that new software can play with it.  It should be possible to select
on modem status changes, and the SIGIO support should be better (I think
you can now get a SIGIO when carrier rises, but only for controlling
terminals).

Side effects of open() are probably more of a problem.  First-opens
always turn on RTS and DTR.

Bruce