Date:      Sat, 11 Oct 2008 09:33:42 -0700
From:      "Kelly Jones" <kelly.terry.jones@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, techtalk@linuxchix.org, nmlug@nmlug.org,  nmosug-l@mailman.swcp.com
Subject:   newsyslog naming scheme could be improved?

newsyslog rotates logfiles so that messages.0.gz is yesterday's file,
messages.1.gz is the day before's, etc.

This is ugly. If I tell my fellow sysadmins that I ran this command:

zfgrep 'bad thing' /var/log/messages.4.gz

and found stuff, they may run it the next day and get different
results because the file is now messages.5.gz

Improving my cow-orkers intelligence would be the ideal solution, but
has anyone considered tweaking newsyslog to name files
messages.2008-10-05-12-00-00.gz or something. IE, give them a constant
name that doesn't change and then delete them after how many ever
days?