Date:      Thu, 21 Oct 2004 11:50:39 +0200
From:      Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: What do people think about not installing a stripped /kernel ?]

--nextPart11811301.99B3qKuaGm

On Wednesday, 20. October 2004 23:29, Matthew Dillon wrote:

> In fact, we enable core dumps in our installs now and once we fix up
> /var/crash's size (for new installs), even total newbies will be able to
> provide useful cores to us.

It's probably a good idea for dragonfly to try and get backtraces from kern=
el=20
panics from as many joe-e.-adoppters as possible - new project, many=20
experiments, not much of real world deployment yet, etc, etc.=20

However, do we really need this on FreeBSD? Is the project in that bad a sh=
ape=20
and/or do developers have so few time to spare these days for reproducing=20
crashes now? How many mails per day about kernel panics where people have n=
o=20
clue about how to get a stack trace are coming in on the -current mailing=20
list daily? I don't see that many. Better invest the time and some addition=
al=20
disk-space into (running) more regression testing tools.

JMTC.
=2D-=20
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi@freebsd.org