Date:      Thu, 7 Feb 2002 22:57:47 -0500
From:      Derrick Norris <derrick@norris-net.com>
To:        "Charles Burns" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>, george@vagner.com, roddierod@yahoo.com, gibbons@cityline.ru
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Slow pkg install in v4.4, was:  !!!!! ERROR IN FREEBSD 4.4RELEASES !!!!!

On Wednesday 06 February 2002 02:41 am, Charles Burns wrote:
> This is a 'Me too' post. I wrote a 4.4 ISO and installed this and
> that, and after a few packages were installed, the installer begain
> taking a very long time to install the packages.
> The installer displays the speed at which data is being read from
> the disk. After a while, it said around "940 bytes/sec" IIRC. It
> was about right. :-) Oddly, the Linux binary package installed very
> fast. This has happened with all installs that I have ever done of
> 4.4 from several CDs. I've ordered a pressed copy of 4.5, so we'll
> see what happens there.

FWIW, the same thing happened to me when I first installed 4.3 --
however I am using an ATAPI CD-ROM drive on a PIII-733 with 256MB of
RAM.

When the package installation started, linux went by in a flash, then
the rest of the stuff crawled along.  I never really thought of it as
an error -- just chalked it up to extraction/file processing time or
something like that.  As long as the display was updating (bytes/sec
changing etc.), I would just go off and leave it, check on it
occasionally and eventually it would be done.

After that 4.3 install, I have upgraded through buildworld to 4.4 and
now to 4.5, and also since that first install anything I built new or
upgraded was built from ports, so I don't know if it still happens
during package install in 4.5.  I just feel better building from the
ports, since I can use my own make.conf etc.

Derrick