Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 2000 12:34:53 -0800 (PST)
From:      Joseph Scott <joseph@randomnetworks.com>
To:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        Joseph Scott <joseph@randomnetworks.com>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: processing incoming mail messages (FreshPorts 2)

On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, Dan Langille wrote:

# On 18 Dec 2000, at 12:26, Joseph Scott wrote:
#
# > On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, Dan Langille wrote:
# >
# > # > 	Then my original answer should have simply been, find a box that
# > # > will host FreshPorts that can take the load of processing 5000 commit
# > # > mails in a minute.  :-)
# > #
# > # Good idea!
# > #
# > # Sorry, but after reading my own message, I've seen it's ambiguous.
# > #
# > # In my previous message, by "process the queue as soon as a new
# > # message arrives", I was referring to the procmail scenario mentioned in
# > # a prior message.  That is, have procmail deliever each email to a
# > # separate file, and process *that* file into FreshPorts as soon as it
# > # arrives.  In that context, the "queue" is the files on disk.  With this
# > # strategy, I'm sure a P100 could handle things.
# >
# > 	Sounds like you are saying that the MTA is the problem then.  From
# > my original reading and ideas of what FreshPorts does, the problem was
# > having 100 copies of the import perl script running at the same time.  In
# > the situation where you are still processing as they come, only files
# > instead of from the MTA, you will still end up with 100 copies of the
# > import script running at once.
#
# Not in the planned scenario.
#
# After procmail delivers the message to file, it notifies a process that
# there's a new msg in the queue (I'm told kqueue might help here).  That
# process (the Mail Munger) will process the messages one at a time.
# Only one instance of the Mail Munger occurs.

	Ok, so you'll have an import daemon out there, taking care of
these one at a time.  That certainly makes sense, but it make sure it
processes them commits in order it will have to pass some data to the
import daemon, like the name of the file for that commit, so that it can
be added to the queue in the import script.