Date:      Thu, 26 Apr 2001 02:41:02 -0700
From:      "Robert L Sowders" <rsowders@usgs.gov>
To:        "G D McKee" <freebsd@gdmckee.com>
Cc:        "Questions FreeBSD" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Connecting to FreeBSD over SSH2 using SecureCRT

Your problem is you are trying to do port forwarding through a firewall.
Setting up port forwarding with SecureCRT is simple between two boxes, but
put the third box between them and now you have a problem.

To do port forwarding for pop you're telling SecureCRT to connect to the
remote machine at port 110 and locally at localhost port.  The firewall is
disallowing connections to port 110.

If your firewall is a Socks 4 or 5 firewall, SecureCRT 3.3 provides
support for them and it can be done, with or without authentication.  If
your firewall proxies pop with the plug-gw it can be done.

If neither of the previous is true, it cannot be done.
If the proxy/firewall does proxy 110 and responds with anything after the
"connect" command is sent, it cannot be done.

See "Connecting through a Firewall" in the SecureCRT help pages.

"G D McKee" <freebsd@gdmckee.com>
Sent by: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
04/25/2001 04:42 AM