Date:      Tue, 24 Mar 1998 18:12:59 -0600 (CST)
From:      Kyle Mestery <mestery@winternet.com>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Userland ppp problem

Hi, I am running a kernel from March 13, but this problem has manifested
itself in previous kernels from Feb and possibly January.  The problem is
that when ftping files while using iijppp the ftping will sometimes stall
and never finish.  I say sometimes, because it only happens with what
appear to be random files.  For instance, the latest lesttif and gcc .tgz
files both stall at the exact same point in the file.  It's as if at that
point in downloading the file, something is causing ijppp to hang that
connection.  The connection itself remains up, and I can control-c the ftp
connection and stop it.  I can also continue to use the link for other ftp
sessions and telnet, etc.  Has anyone else noticed anything similiar to
this?

I am using a kernel from MArch 13 with a world from March 16, but like I
said it has happened for the last few months.  Other information can be
provided upon request.

Also, the above mentioned files (lesstiff for example) do download okay if
I unzip them, then compress (instead of gzip) them, and uuencode them.  Of
course, this makes them twice as big, but it seems as if they no longer
contain the sequence of bits that cause iijppp to stall on them.  I know
this sounds weird, but it has been happening for a while, and is trully
repeatable.  I can get a tcpdump output if needed.  Thanks!

--
Kyle Mestery
StorageTek's Network Systems Group