Date:      Sat, 28 Apr 2001 01:13:08 -0000
From:      "Greg Smith" <gregsmith59@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IBM ThinkPad's audio device at resume time

Everyone,

>I'll rebuild my kernel, update loader.conf, and give it a try.

Duhhh!  I should have checked for availability of a loadable module before
coming up with that bright idea for pcm.

OTOH, I learned that:
warm reboot from pcm kernel to no-pcm kernel allows cdplay to still play
sound

suspend to RAM or disk from pcm kernel kills cdplay sound

warm reboot from no-sound FreeBSD to Win95 does not prevent sound on Win95

2nd warm reboot from Win95 back to no-pcm kernel does not allow cdplay sound

BTW, is it a big task to turn something like pcm subsystem into a loadable
module (as an alternative to enhancing pcm)?

Greg