Date:      Fri, 31 Aug 2001 09:04:40 -0400
From:      "Tommy Forrest - KE4PYM" <tforrest@shellworld.net>
To:        "Kris Kennaway" <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "idontknow idontknow" <ostendom@hotmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Problems with Security patches 01:40 and 01:55

???  What did I do wrong?

>The patch failed, leaving you with uncompilable source :)
>
>If you're downloading the latest versions of the advisory and patch,
>and the correct version of the patch for your version of FreeBSD, the
>most likely explanation is that you have a different source tree than
>it's expecting..perhaps you've got older source, or source for an
>intermediate version of -stable (e.g. FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE, instead of
>FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE)
>
>Sometimes the initial versions of the advisory or patch are incorrect
>and contain incorrect instructions, etc, but we always re-release them
>with the corrections, and I think the two you refer to are believed to
>be okay.
>
>Kris

Okay.  How do I tell what tree I have?  uname -a reports:
"4.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE #3: Tue Apr 17 19:01:56 EDT 2001"

I followed the instructions in the advisories to the T.  I take it that
the patch that was asking for the filename did not execute, therefore
it did nothting to my system.  The one I am really worried about now is
the one that failed and has left me with a partially goofed up system.
How do I correct it?  For reference the one that completely failed was
libc.

Tommy Forrest - KE4PYM -  tforrest@shellworld.net
http://www.shellworld.net/~tforrest
And now, its time, for some useless, bandwidth wasting words of wisdom:
Hand in hand with OS/2. Hell with NT

PGP Public Key Fingerprint: B9ED C46F C92E 0101  4B4C BFC1 907C A0D0