Date:      Thu, 20 Jul 2000 17:22:33 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>
To:        Derrick MacPherson <derrick@mercuryfilmworks.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AltQ/dummynet & IP accounting..

> > for that, probably a picobsd-based bridge does the job fairly well.
> > there is a floppy image at http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/ip_dummynet/
> > which also has Weighted Fair Queueing enabled.
>
> How would this handle a 10 meg connection and +400 machines? Is it going
> to bog down significantly? wWhat about if I add full firewalling
> capabalities?

it all depends on the CPU and cards you have. We have one such
bridge with a 350 or 400 MHz CPU, Intel ("fxp") cards on a 100Mbit
net and it does not seem to harm too much.
At 10Mbit/s i am pretty sure you will only notice little more than
the store&forward latency introduced by the bridge.

Of course the more rules you have (for firewalling) the slower
the system is, but typically if you use dynamic rules, after
the initial match you have O(1) cost per packet, and the WF2Q+
algorithm has O(log N) cost where N is the number of flows.

	cheers
	luigi