Date:      Mon, 9 Apr 2001 12:42:30 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        <das@mbox.com.au>
Cc:        <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: multi-subnet windows file sharing?

On Mon, 9 Apr 2001 das@mbox.com.au wrote:

> Hi guys, sorry about this question on this board, but I haven't met a
> microsloth person capable of answering my question.
>
> I have a freebsd box with 5 interfaces.  1 is used to connect to a
> cable modem.  The other 4 cards connect to internal networks.
>
> --- ed0 --- freebsd4.2 box --- fxp0 = 10.0.255.254/16
>                            --- fxp1 = 10.1.255.254/16
>                            --- fxp2 = 10.2.255.254/16
>                            --- ex0 = 10.3.255.254/16
>
> On the 10.0/16 network exists a Windows 2000 professional/workstation
> machine with a printer.  Can I use ipfw forwarding rules, or some other
> method, to allow clients on the other subnets to print to this server?

There are several ways for the Windows machines to resolve the address
of the Windows server on another network.  DNS, WINS, or a local
LMHOSTS lookup.  To use DNS, the DNS host name part (not necessarily
the subdomain) must match the NetBIOS name of the machine.  You can
also use any WINS server as long as the clients are configured to use
it and the IP address of the machine you want to talk to is registered
with it.  The third and simplest is to add the NetBIOS name and IP
address of the machine in the local LMHOSTS file, very similar in
function to the Unix /etc/hosts file.  In Windows9X, the LMHOSTS file
is in %WINDOWS%, usually C:\WINDOWS.  In Windows NT, its in
%WINDIR%\system32\drivers\etc, usually C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For IA32 and Alpha architectures. IA64, PPC, and ARM under development.
   http://www.freebsd.org