Date:      Wed, 1 May 1996 15:35:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it (Luigi Rizzo)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, koshy@india.hp.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: lmbench IDE anomaly

Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> > Anyway, the results showing SCSI being better than IDE are certainly
> > valid.
>
> So we are back to the regular "SCSI is better than IDE" debate...

	there is not a debate.

	my 486dx2-66 with 16MB and scsi drives will perform a
	"make world" faster than several 586-75's with 16+MB and
	*IDE* drives.  a 586-90, assuming long integer data set of
	100kB, is over twice as fast as my cpu.  but the ide drives
	slow the compiles horribly.  ( use Hint to get the cpu computation
	speeds http://www.scl.ameslab.gov/scl/HINT/HINT.html)

	now maybe its the driver, maybe its the IDE drives themselves.
	i aint re-writing the ide driver, so i dont care (at this point).

	dare, jis eyent naw dabayt.

--
Jonathan M. Bresler           FreeBSD Postmaster             jmb@FreeBSD.ORG
FreeBSD--4.4BSD Unix for PC clones, source included. http://www.freebsd.org/