Date:      Sun, 21 Aug 2005 14:11:23 -0500
From:      Nikolas Britton <nikolas.britton@gmail.com>
To:        "Andrew L. Gould" <algould@datawok.com>
Cc:        Kent Hauser <kent.hauser@verizon.net>, Ovidiu Ene <ovidiue@unixware.ro>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OT: Re: WinXP administration guide for unix guru

I have a few tips, I started my computer life as a windows guy (I hate
the dam thing now).

hmm,
Grab a copy of ActiveState's ActivePerl and a find a good Perl for Win32 bo=
ok.
Most everything you want is in the "Control Panel" and you can find
"Computer Management" in there, To get to "Control Panel" click on
Start........

Are you really that clueless about windows, you've never used it?
Don't your friends pester you for computer help? Maybe you should
think about resigning...

> > Kent Hauser wrote:
> >
> > >Hi,
> > >
> > >I've been a Unix sysadmin  (SunOS 3.x, 4.x, Solaris, FreeBSD) for 15
> > >years, but am now being forced to learn how to run a collection of
> > >XP boxes.
> > >
> > >Can anyone recommend a book which explains this confusing beast? I'm
> > >talking about a book which explains where things are put (equiv of /
> > >var/mail,=20

There is no /var/mail. It's stored under the users profile. click on
My computer then drive C: then Documents and Settings then %username%
then (I think) application data (the folder you want will be hidden,
in the file browser click on tools i think and then option click on
the next tab over and uncheck / check I think the first 5 boxes and
hit OK. the folder to look in is whatever mail program you use,
Outlook stores mail in a .pst file.

/etc/passwd,

Last I checked it was something like ntuser.dat or user.dat or
something like that, you can find it under Documents and
Settings\%username% but you can't do anything with that file because
it's encrypted. hmm. Click on Start >> Setting >> Control Panel >>
Computer Management and a program should pop up then you want some
like "user and group management then User management... sorry I'm
trying to remember all this from heart I don't have any windows
computers around me.

  /etc/rc.conf)

Click on Start >> Run >> type in "regedit" in the box and hit enter.
most of the things you want are under Hkey_Local_machine ... (I don't
remember... service or currentcontrolset somthing... microsoft.. etc.)
but their is hkey_current_user (think shell config file) too

, where application data is
> > >stored

C:\Program Files\%Name of App or Company of App%\

, how printers

Start >> Settings >> Printers

, disks, etc are shared,=20

You have admin shares for the root of all disks by default %Diskname%$
so for drive C it would be \\hostname\C$

to share stuff double click on "My Computer" goto the folder you want
to share and right click on it and click properties, click on the tab
"share" or maybe it called sharing

how to book in "fixit
> > >disk" mode

What? hmm Try hitting the F8 key at boot, this will give you a boot menu.

, how to backup/restore,=20

You need to buy a 3rd party app for that or make a perl script etc.

how to configure swap space.

Right click on "My computer" and it's its its under the tab system
maybe, It has 3 boxes in it... anyways that will get you halfway
there. click on performance button I think.

 And
> > >also questions like why XP is "professional", etc.

Marketing, the windows XP home and pro disks are the same, home can be
hacked into Pro with a simple hex editor.

BTW Don't ask me for anymore help unless you want to pay for tutoring.
I was feeling generous today when I decided to help Microsoft extend
it's monopoly without getting some of the action, I don't know why.
Maybe because I feel your pain.