Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2002 16:21:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      "C J Michaels" <cjm2@earthling.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ppp(8) + ng_pppoe(4) doesn't detect dead connection.

FreeBSD xxx 4.4-STABLE FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE #0: Sun Oct 14 14:17:28 EDT 2001
root@server.xxx:/usr/src/sys/compile/SERVER  i386

Hi,

The above mentioned -STABLE box is connected to the Internet via Verizon
DSL PPPoE using ppp(8) + ng_pppoe(4) in -ddial mode.  Works great, no
problems connecting via PPPoE and using the Internet.  For the most part
the connection is quite stable, relatively speaking (it's been connected in
excess of 40 days at a time).

Anyway, there are times when the PPPoE connection appears to drop, but the
client isn't notified.  When this happens Internet access is lost until
someone manually issues a "close" command to ppp(8).

I've scoured the logs and have nothing of use in troubleshooting this
issue.  I'm currently logging "Connect phase ipcp Command".

Any assistance in troubleshooting this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
--
Chris

"I'll defend to the death your right to say that, but I never said I'd
listen to it!"
     -- Tom Galloway with apologies to Voltaire