Date:      Mon, 29 Sep 2008 14:14:15 +0100
From:      RW <fbsd06@mlists.homeunix.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: experimantal question about md's

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 10:36:46 +0200
"Michael Schuh" <michael.schuh@gmail.com> wrote:
> so we have a webserver (par example) at this mirror it has very good
> speed for the file-access
> (ok i know in allmost cases is not the disk the bottleneck, and if we
> could doing caching...)
> at the above examle it is not really important if the write process
> needs a second or two longer,
> but by millions of requests it could be interseting to read the data
> very fast......

That's exactly the case in which caching will work best. FreeBSD's
integrated cache/VM system would keep such pages in memory even at
the expense of writing other user data to swap.

When I suggested a swap-backed device I was forgetting that malloc
backed devices use memory that won't be paged, so there may be an
advantage, but I think it would be the opposite to what you want. What
it would do is keep rarely used file data in memory even if there's
a better use for the memory elsewhere, so you would be trading
performance for better worst-case latency.