Date:      Fri, 3 Sep 1999 14:46:42 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Jun Kuriyama <kuriyama@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Japanese FAQ on the Web is broken

On Sun, Aug 29, 1999 at 02:12:09PM +0900, Jun Kuriyama wrote:
> Some days ago, Norm's dsssl-docbook-modular begins to contain Japanese
> i18n modules.  It is encoded in Unicode with UTF-8 but my old patches
> and Japanese Documentation Project are using EUC-JP encoding.
>
> I've discussed about it with original author of Norm's Japanese
> modules, and we decide it is good way to include UTF-8, EUC-JP and
> Shift_JIS encoding in Norm's distribution in current situation of
> Japanese encoding scheme problem.
>
> But (of course, it's my fault) this work has not be done.  So Japanese
> Handbook will not use 'lang="ja"' until this feature is implemented.

That's fine.  As long as someone's keeping track of the issues.

Incidentally, I sent a message (in English) to doc-jp@jp.freebsd.org
a few days ago about a product called DSSSLprint, made by a Japanese
firm, that can produce PS and PDF output from SGML + DSSSL stylesheets.
This might be another way of solving the jadeTeX problem we're having.
I haven't had any feedback from the list members -- do you know if anyone
has volunteered to look at that?

> > This is a rather convoluted way of saying
> >     If the tools that process the Japanese documentation have the command
> >     line flag '-ilang.ja' passed to them, add the additional HTML header
> >     tags "Content-Type", and set it to "text/html; charset=EUC-JP".
> > This is what your web browser is looking for before it will switch to using
> > a Japanese font -- note that you could still have told your browser to
> > use a Japanese font and the page would like fine, but it's that header
> > in the HTML (do "View Source" in any of the Japanese HTML pages to see it)
> > that tells your browser to do this automatically.
>
> Just FYI, according to HTTP/1.1 specification, using "META" tag for
> guessing encoding scheme is not the best way.  Our pages should return
> charset parameter in HTTP header (not HTML header).

Yes, I agree.  I haven't yet built a complete working mirror of the
FreeBSD site so that I can play around with things like that.  I think
the meta tag solution is acceptable for the moment, until we get
docs.freebsd.org working.

Also, FWIW, the HTTP header approach means that our mirror sites would
also need to do this in their web server config, and it might be tricky
to co-ordinate this -- the meta tag means that we don't need the mirrors
to do anything special.

[ What I really want is for the web server to look at the accepted languages
  information that some browsers send with their request and go "Oh, I
  see you've asked for http://www.freebsd.org/, but the first language
  you've asked for is Japanese, so I'll send you to
  http://www.ja-JP-eucJP.freebsd.org/ instead.

  This sort of redirection would *only* work for the main site, and could be
  overridden by going directly to www.en-US-ISO-8859-1.freebsd.org.  I
  haven't yet had a look at the work necessary to implement this sort of
  feature -- it's something that'll become more prominent when I take a
  look at the issues surrounding setting up docs.freebsd.org, and it can
  be trialled there. ]

 [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
 non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs
 the links.
    -- Tom Christiansen in <375143b5@cs.colorado.edu>