Date:      Sat, 4 Aug 2001 06:59:13 -0400
From:      bud@ravenet.com (Bud Roth)
To:        Joe Warner <rootman@xmission.com>, joel2a@yahoo.com, freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Microsoft bashers

Actually, my dissatisfaction with Microsoft is not about the quality of their
software, but two things:

First, the proprietary approach to software design leaves computer savvy
individuals unable to inspect the code--a barrier to learning and to the
progress of computer science.  There is nothing _wrong_ with this, but I
would rather use products that provide the opportunity for those able to take
advantage of it to inspect the code.  FreeBSD does that, so I am using it.
It is not buggy at all.  It is a full fledged operating system.
FreeBSD/Linux gui's are a different matter--but they are not necessary to
running a server or many useful services that these OSs are popular for.  I
may have some bugs in them, but my experience is about the same as with
Windows--an occasional crash.  I also think MS Office is the best product in
its field, but even so, I'd rather switch to Koffice.  Why?

The reason is my second dissatisfaction:  Because MS has done things that are
wrong:  As affirmed by the appellate court, the federal district judge
hearing the MS case found that MS engaged in various monopolistic practices
designed to squelch competition.  This hurts innovation, pricing, and
ultimately the consumer.  MS was warned about its anti-competitve practices
in the media and by the DOJ.  It chose to continue its illegal practices and
disregard the laws that apply to all of us.  That puts them in the same
category as the warez dealers--a software vendor making illegal profits.  For
this reason, I feel it worthwhile to avoid using MS products.  If you enjoy
them, that is fine.  I don't have a bone to pick with people that have
thought thru these issues and come down in favor of using MS products.  It is
a free world.  I just want to make it a free software world.  ;-)