Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 2000 11:22:00 -0500 (CDT)
From:      <bsd-stable@boneyard.lawrence.ks.us>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   incomplete ARP entry for NIC alias address

Greetings,

I am running 4.1-Stable.  The most recent is as of August 14th.  I have
noticed that when adding an alias to an interface, an equivalent arp entry
is not included.  The alias is still reachable from other systems, just
not from the local box.

It occurs on both the i386 (using rl, fxp and xl interfaces) and the alpha
(dc and de interfaces)

I have tried ifconfig with and without the broadcast and netmask.  The
only option, it would seem, is to statically add an ARP entry for the
aliased address.

I am assuming that this is not normal behavior.  Please let me know if I
can provide any more information.

Regards,
Stephen

Stephen Spencer |