Date:      Fri, 19 Mar 1999 01:43:39 +1300
From:      Andrew McNaughton <andrew@squiz.co.nz>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        Dmitry Valdov <dv@dv.ru>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: disk quota overriding

> Dmitry Valdov wrote:
> > I think that there is only one way to fix it - it's to disable making
> > *hard*links to directory with mode 1777.

I don't use quotas, and don't know a great deal about how they operate, but I think there's another disk filling DOS involving hard links lurking which the above measure would also solve.

If a user starts making hard links to (large and growing) log files, with the new links being placed in /var/mail, then presumably those log files will not be deleted correctly as they are rolled over, and will quickly accumulate.

This could not bring down a system as rapidly as growing the publicly writable directory with lots of links, but it is not desirable system behaviour.

Andrew McNaughton