Date:      Mon, 12 Oct 1998 00:26:21 -0700
From:      Haze <dionn@spiritone.com>
To:        lcremean@tidalwave.net
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Porting Descent (was: Re: age check :) )

On 12-Oct-98 @ 1:18:48, Lee Cremeans wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 11, 1998 at 04:54:47PM -0700, Jason C. Wells wrote:
> > On Mon, 12 Oct 1998, Jonathan Chen wrote:
> > I have "Porting Unix Software". In any case I will learn more about my
> > system. One of the things that will have to be worked out is the DOS4GW
> > protected mode wathyamajigger and handling SVGA doohickey. I guess linux
> > has an SVGA lib which might be used. Either that or the game would have to
> > be ported to X to grab the root window.
>
> For FreeBSD, you could use libvgl...IIRC, Descent never used anything more
> sophisticated than 320x200x256, which is a VGA standard mode (libvgl only
> does standard VGA modes).

IIRC, a more recent version of Descent ran in 640x400x256, or was that
Descent 2?

An X version (like XDoom) would be better IMO, I like being able to go
kill shaved gorillas while keeping an eye on something doing a mundane
task.  It's also nice because I can easily hide it if the boss comes
along to ask me to do something really outrageous (like work).

Mind you, I have no idea what programming in X is like.
--
Knowledge is the perception of truth distorted by reality

PGP Key: www.spiritone.com/~dionn/pgpkey
Fingerprint: 312E F076 35D0 8EEB 4B2A  DC8A 04FC 1543 3B2C 0502