Date:      Mon, 27 Dec 1999 10:08:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      <keith@mail.telestream.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   BSDI to FreeBSD

I've encountered some pretty severe problems transfering files from a bsdi
machine to a freebsd machine. It seems FreeBSD does not like the
user/groups from BSDI. After untaring a sizable file from the BSDI machine
on to the FreeBSD machine. All the ownerships were in the form of numbers.
And low numbers for that mater. 200  150  300  UID and GID's of that form.
Shortly after that the system went down and that drive is basiacly hosed
and unusable.
When I rebooted the machine fsck could not fix the drive. And at this
point I've completely rebuilt the array and tried to reinsert it back into
FreeBSD via sysinstall.
It will not insert back into the system. I switch to a second terminal to
see if there have been any errors while in the fdisk. Here is the error.

DEBUG: MakeDev: Unknown major/minor for dev type -

 Has anyone ever encountered a problem like this? I'm stumped.

Keith