Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 2000 18:49:31 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
To:        zrq501j@tninet.se
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD-problems...

On 9/22/00, 2:25:33 PM, zrq501j@tninet.se wrote regarding
FreeBSD-problems...:

> Hello!!

> I did a mistake some days ago: I used cvsup to download the source of
> 5.0-CURRENT, but the kernel did'nt compile (the rest of the system
did,
> but not the kernel) so I tried to get 4.x-stable again by cvsup, but
> something was wrong:
> The system dont compile and the kernel dont want to compile ether.

> I did like this first:
> cvsup'd down the 5.0-current-source
> make buildworld <-- it worked

Dear Johan Andersson,

If you read /usr/src/UPDATING (under -STABLE as well as under
-CURRENT), you will learn what the correct (=3Drecommended, supported)
updating procedure is (in each case).

N.B. Both -CURRENT and -STABLE follow analogous updating scheme;
-CURRENT, however, requires additional **special** considerations
(e.g. hints); which considerations are made (wait for it) in
/usr/src/UPDATING.

> make installworld <-- it worked to
> config MY_KERNEL <-- did work, but a lot of strange warnings...
> make buildkernel KERNEL=3DMY_KERNEL <-- did not work

You have not followed the prescribed method (N.B. here you dealing
with **CURRENT** sources), so no wonder something did not work.

In fact, if you have a look at the /usr/src/UPDATING relative to
-CURRENT, you'll find the warnings (and the answers) yourself.

By the way, since SMP code is being worked on under -CURRENT (ie
-CURRENT **may** potentially be found in a wild unpredictable
[quantum] state :-), a static tag was created a couple of weeks ago.
If you really wish to update to a safe -CURRENT, you should use it in
your cvsupfile; alternatively, you can specify a date in the cvsup
file, as per the instructions in cvsup (1). Needless to say, you
should browse the -current archives before **even** thinking of
attempting such an operation.

> So... then I cvsup'ed down 4.1-stable again.
> make buildworld <-- dont work
> make installworld <-- dont work ether

Why try to install a world that has not even been built (or has been
partially built) ?

> config MY_KERNEL <-- Dont work...

Again, please read /usr/src/UPDATING.

> make buildkernel <-- becouse the config didn't work this dont work
ether.

<snip>

Summing up (If I correctly interpret all you have done):

you built and somehow installed a -CURRENT world; upon which world you
tried to install part of a -STABLE world; your kernel, however, is
still the old (ie "stable") kernel.

In the language of Q. M., I would say that your system is described by
a linear superposition of the (quantum) states -CURRENT and -STABLE,
with *unknown* coefficients :-)

I have little idea of the present "state" of your system; I am not
quite sure what the most painless recovery strategy (if any) is at
this stage. I am not quite sure even that such a downgrading operation
can be successfully performed, either.

************************** Disclaimer *****************************

Mutatis mutandis, the following suggestion, described in Ray
Kohler's own words on July 6, 2000, ***might*** work:

>> Is building 4.0-stable on 5-current supported?  If so, whats the
proper
>> procedure supposed to be, other than cvsup the sources and make
buildworld
>> (as a first step)?
>>
>> If its not supposed to work, or is just plain broken for a while, ill=

try
>> a sysinstall "upgrade" to 4-s bins.  buildworld is bombing for me in
>> cc1plus.
>
>Go to /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/binutils and do make all install clean.
>You need to downgrade binutils this way before you can downgrade
>gcc.
>
>--
>Ray Kohler <rjk191@psu.edu>

Thanks, that worked.  I did a buildworld and made a kernel after that
and installed both and everything seems to be working nicely now.

If you succeed in making buildworld, you will ... read
/usr/src/UPDATING, and then try to go on.

I hope I am not missing any more gotchas myself <pant, pant>

Needless to say, as extrema ratio (~ last resort), you can back up all
your valuable files (config, data) and reinstall.

Never forget to read /usr/src/UPDATING again :-))

Best regards & best of luck,
Salvo