Date:      Sat, 20 Oct 2001 20:07:14 +0200
From:      Thomas Moestl <tmoestl@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-sparc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FYI: single user mode

On Fri, 2001/10/19 at 17:08:48 -0700, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 19, 2001 at 10:26:41AM -0400, Jake Burkholder wrote:
> > Last nigth I got my ultra 10 to boot to single user mode for the first
> > time.  Woohoo!  I built ls and some other binaries which seem to run
> > fine.
>
> Could you put up a tarball of your kernel, etc?

I have put a kernel, with a loader prepended, at
  http://people.FreeBSD.org/~tmm/main.gz (~630kB)
, some userland binaries at
  http://people.FreeBSD.org/~tmm/sparc64-dist.tar.gz (~8MB)
and some minimal (and probably incomplete) instructions are at
  http://people.FreeBSD.org/~tmm/README.

This will only work on PCI machines which have a firmware version that
can load ELF binaries (so, for example, not on Ultra 1 and 2s).
Additionally the builtin CMD 646 ATA controller that some boxes have
does not yet work; other PCI controllers should hopefully.

This includes experimental ATA changes, eeprom code etc., so use at
your own risk.

	- thomas