Date:      Thu, 21 Mar 2002 12:01:11 -0800
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "George V. Neville-Neil" <gnn@neville-neil.com>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        bmah@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Jadetex saga (things work, but I figure I should explain)

I wrote:

> Your last message reminded me of PR 25419, in which I described a
> similar problem when I tried to install teTeX.  It's still open:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/25419
>
> If we knew what set of variables caused problems like this, we could at
> least make the port(s) output a warning of some sort before the build
> stage.

If someone wants to fix this (and I think it should be fixed):  The
list of environment variables that make teTeX complain during
installation is defined as $envvars in the
ports/print/teTeX/work/teTeX-1.0/texk/tetex/texconfig script.

texconfig prints a warning if any of these environment variables are
set; the problem (as I remember it) is that if I cancelled the
installation at this point and re-run the port's install, the port has
*already* installed some stuff into ${PREFIX} which keeps it from
working properly.  I seem to remember blowing away /usr/local/share/texmf
and being able to install after that.

What the port should do is either try to sanitize the environment or
print a warning before the build stage.

Bruce.