Date:      Mon, 13 Jan 1997 01:11:43 +0100
From:      roberto@keltia.freenix.fr (Ollivier Robert)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DEVFS permissions &c.

According to J Wunsch:
> Why do they need to be changed?  If somebody says `reboot -q', it
> doesn't need to go via init.

The patch I made at the time is so that if one uses halt/reboot the
rc.shutdown is not run. If that change is enough then there is no need to
change them. Now, I think some people expect it to be run if one type
"reboot". It is more a matter of how much flak we'd get :-)

I don't mind having things completed in only the "shutdown" case. It was,
in my memory Terry who pushed me to complete the changes to halt/reboot
(and I still think it would be better that way) :-)

> I think stall() is the wrong thing to do here.  If the shutdown script
> fails, it's best to log what can be logged, and proceed to really shut
> down the system to the desired state.

Probably. The patch is 2 years old and I don't remember why some things
were done that way since :-) There are probably some things to reconsider.

> Otherwise, considere a machine that's rebooted remotely: you _want_ to
> have it rebooted, whatever might happen.  If it fails to execute part
> of the shutdown procedure, you can learn this from the log after it
> rebooted.  Having it jumping out to single-user will cause a fatal
> error since you need an operator on the console afterwards.

I agree.

> Here's an alarm() missing, to prevent infinite hangs of the shutdown
> script.  Such an infinite hang should be answered with sending
> rc.shutdown a terminate signal, and by syslogging it.

Agreed too.
--
Ollivier ROBERT    -=- The daemon is FREE! -=-    roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
  FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 3.0-CURRENT #33: Sat Dec 21 12:57:17 CET 1996