Date:      Sat, 3 Feb 2001 19:37:09 +0100
From:      Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.demon.nl>
To:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org, studded@dal.net, jkh@freebsd.org, wilko@freebsd.org, nik@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Request for RELNOTESng feedback

On Fri, Feb 02, 2001 at 11:03:08AM -0800, Bruce A. Mah wrote:

> sees from about 10 to 4.  I'm not completely happy with the way it's
> turned out, and I might break out the installation-related text into its
> own document.  Also the back parts of the relnotes might move to the
> readme document.

Sounds reasonable to me.

> 2.  Is it time to socialize this to a larger audience, and if so, which
> audience?  I was thinking of something like either -current or -hackers.

Yes, I think it is time. Be prepared for a debate I guess.

> 3.  Anyone want to help?  I'm getting a little tired marking up
> documents.  Plus, I don't know how good my DocBook markup is.

I'm not much help here, DocBook is unchartered territory for me.

> 5.  The next steps are something like this:
>
> 	A.  Figure out how to do markup on {alpha/i386}/INSTALL.TXT
> 	(which I just discovered) and alpha/HARDWARE.TXT.  Or at the
> 	very least, what to do with these files.
>
> 	(Jordan, can I hack on / replace INSTALL.TXT?  This looks like what
> 	goes on the liner notes for the CD.)

FWIW: Jordan never shot me for hacking on alpha/INSTALL.TXT

> 	(Wilko, we talked briefly about you doing markup for
> 	alpha/HARDWARE.TXT.  Feel up to it?)

Yes.

> 	D.  Commit RELNOTESng-building magic.  We should make RELNOTESng
> 	off by default, but I don't want to delay it any longer than
> 	necessary, because I'm maintaining *three* release notes files
> 	just for CURRENT.

Which stinks, I agree.

> product should look like.  I'd like to get the blessing of someone
> authoritative (Nik? Jordan?) that this is at least a halfway worthy

I don't expect much opposition to be honest. Most source-hackers are
quite happy with any progress on the doc front so that they can spend
their time hacking C (or whatever) ;-)

W/