Date:      Sat, 3 Jun 2000 18:48:30 -0400
From:      "leegold" <goldtech@worldpost.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   reinstall a patched x-windows - help

I have ati xpert2000 card - there are some text handling problems w/the
"stock" xFree86 installation. So I found and downloaded the following:

"X11R6-3.3.6-p3-freebsd.tar.gz
A compiled copy of XFree86-3.3.6 with latest fixes (fix-01-r128,
fix-02-svr4, fix-03-mmap). FreeBSD-3.4 binary. To accomodate our ATI Rage
128 Xpert 2000 cards. Use "XF86_SVGA" for ATI. This will untar to
"X11R6-3.3.6-p3-freebsd/", you'll need to copy some or all to your
/usr/X11R6 folder."

What do I do to use this new X11R6-3.3.6?

Do I rename the existing equivalent file w/a .old then untar this to the
correct dir? Someone had mentioned doing something w/symlinks (?) How do I
swap out the old file and replace and implement this new - and hopefully
improved version? Is a new sysinstall operation needed?

THANKS - newbie