Date:      Sat, 27 May 2000 17:56:14 -0400
From:      Otter <otterr@telocity.com>
To:        Jahanur R Subedar <jahanur@jjsoft.com>, -questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Dhclient install in 2.2.5 freebsd

Jahanur R Subedar wrote:

> HI folks,
>
> I have spent three nights trying to go to the internet from Freebsd 2.2.5
> through the cable modem.
> My win95 goes to it fine as dhcp client.
> Now I have noticed for past 15 days that the IP address provided by
> the DHCP has not changed, so I thought I should be able to install
> my Freebsd 2.2.5 in one of my old P133 machinne and make it a router
> for other computers in my home.
> But no this is what I get
> Ping: sendto: host not found.
> but I am able to ping my local machines.
> Keep in mind I only have one network card and I aliased it to see the
> local machines.
> But then I thought I should be able to ping the cable modem at least.
> So I did so many things for example natd/ipfw also, did not work.
> I have came across some wherere that I need to have dhclient installed.
> If it is true, then how can get the dhclient installed in my 2.2.5
> freebsd, that does not have any interenet connection.
> Please help or tell me what I am doing wrong.
> Please!!!
>
> Jahanur R Subedar
> WWW.JJSOFT.COM

since DHCP didn't come stock until FreeBSD 3.0, I'd recommend you
install it from ports... maybe isc-dhcp2. I saw isc-dhcp3 has come
out, but I haven't used it yet, so I can't tell you how it works. try
/usr/ports/net/isc-dhcp2 && make install (after you cvsup your ports
to get the most current version of it).
-Otter