Date:      Fri, 23 Dec 2011 12:28:46 +0100
From:      Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ed Schouten <ed@80386.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Changing refcount(9) to use a refcount_t

--+HP7ph2BbKc20aGI

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 10:47:28PM +0100, Ed Schouten wrote:
> The reason why I'm emailing this to fs@, is because this change breaks
> one of the existing file system drivers, namely ZFS. Solaris also
> implements a refcount_t, but unlike FreeBSD's, it has a more complex API
> and is 64-bits in size. Still, I suspect it's hard to overflow a 32-bit
> reference counter, right? Even if it is, we can fix this in the long run
> by making refcount_t a truly opaque object of type u_long.
>=20
> Can any of you ZFS user please try the following patch? Do any of you
> object if I commit it to SVN and merge it in a couple of months from
> now?

Ed, what is the purpose of the patch exactly? Is there no way to keep
ZFS as it is? Will it stop compile? Even with -std=3Dc99?

You changing here vendor code and we still don't want to do that if
avoidable, as we want to share code with IllumOS. Unless I see strong
reasons why this is unavoidable, I do object. If that was our own code,
reducing it would be definiately welcome, but because we share the code,
we will just grow the diff against other ZFS versions out there.

--=20
FreeBSD committer                         http://www.FreeBSD.org
Am I Evil? Yes, I Am!                     http://yomoli.com

--+HP7ph2BbKc20aGI