Date:      Sat, 30 Jan 1999 01:41:43 -0500
From:      "Doug" <dougc1@bellatlantic.net>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Identification of the owner of a port

Hi,

  Ok, I need to find a way to get the owner of a port that is currently
open. Say 'user' opened a connection to example.com at port 23, I need a way
to locally at the box tell what user opened that connection. I can gather
the port numbers via netstat, but I don't know how to associate them to
their owner.

( box:1380 -> example.com:23
  I want to know the user of port 1380 on the local box. )

I hope that made sense,

Doug