Date:      Mon, 15 May 2000 00:32:56 -0400
From:      John <papalia@udel.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   locate database disappears

Hi all,

I'm having a bit of a time trying to figure out this problem.... currently,
my /var/db/locate.database is about 500 bytes in size.  I run
/usr/libexec/locate.updatedb and, like it's supposed to, the locate
database is rebuilt.  New size is about 701k.  Great.  All my locate
requests work.  Then, /etc/weekly runs at the end of the week.  Whamo.  The
entire locate database is set back to about 500 bytes in size again.

I've finally managed to trace this back to being "caused" by
/etc/periodic/weekly/310.locate, which I've pasted below (it's the standard
plain-old version that was installed during a make world - I haven't
modified it at all). I've yet to figure out *why* though?  Any
thoughts?  I'm running 3.4-stable now, and this problem didn't come into
being until I had upgraded from 3.3-stable to 3.4-stable.

Thanks!!!
--John

/etc/periodic/weekly/310.locate:
locdb=/var/db/locate.database

if [ -x /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb -a -f $locdb ] ; then

     echo ""
     echo "Rebuilding locate database:"

     touch ${locdb}; chown nobody ${locdb}; chmod 644 ${locdb}

     cd /
     echo /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb | nice -5 su -fm nobody
     chmod 444 ${locdb}
fi