Date:      Sat, 22 Oct 2005 14:18:33 +0100
From:      dgmm <freebsd01@dgmm.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Procedures

On Saturday 22 October 2005 04:39, David Wilhelm wrote:
> Erik Norgaard wrote:
> > On Fri, 21 Oct 2005, Ronny Machado C. wrote:
> >> * =A0 =A0My sound card is a Sound Blaster Live!, I've tried to load it=
 by
> >> means of kldload emu10k1, it worked but I can't get it to work.
> >> Honestly I haven't configured MYKERNEL since I still don't understand
> >> the process.
> >
> > No need to build a kernel, just load the right modules. I don't know
> > which is right for your card, but you can try them one by one. They are
> > all named snd_
>
> Here's a silly cheat, which worked for me, to avoid trying all snd_*
> modules one-by-one:
>
> Do a `kldload snd_driver` to load all snd_* modules, start playing an
> mp3, then `kldunload snd_driver`. All snd_* modules are unloaded except
> the one you want, since it's currently "in use".

Brilliant!

That's far better than the one I came up with to deal with a similar=20
situation :-)  I loaded them all, checked it worked, then commented out hal=
f=20
to see which half of the list the "working" one was in.  Rinse and repeat=20
until only one is left.

It didn't take too long but your's is much better :-)

=2D-=20
Dave