Date:      Sun, 13 Jun 1999 16:28:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
To:        Jay Nelson <jdn@acp.qiv.com>
Cc:        "Ed P." <secure@r0ck.com>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fwd: [linux-security] Re: Port 7 scan

Jay> This explains what is going on. Thank you. It does, though, raise
Jay> a couple of other questions:

Jay> The echo service is, AFIK, a peculiarly Unix service. Why do you
Jay> suppose they chose echo for the latency test as opposed to a
Jay> simple ping? Nearly everything with an ethernet card will respond
Jay> to a ping returning, I would think, more useful latency
Jay> information than a refused connect.

Jay> Since echo is Unixcentric and most new admins leave echo open,
Jay> echo will reveal far more about a machine than a ping. Could it
Jay> be that this is the intent?

Actually, this is probably caused by a desire to subvert an
'optimization' made at major routers on the net.  In general, most
busy routers 'de-prioritize' ping traffic.  This is largely due to the
face that the worse the network gets, the higher the amount of ping
traffic (coming from people who wonder why it's slow).  So the latency
from a ping connection isn't as accurate as trying to open a tcp
connection.

Dave.