Date:      Fri, 21 Mar 2003 08:13:04 -0600
From:      Peter Elsner <peter@servplex.com>
To:        Jim King <jim@jimking.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problem on 1TB filesystem RAID 5 3ware

I've been using the 3Ware cards for 2 years on FreeBSD...  We had a drive
go south a few weeks ago, and
the 3dmd (3Ware daemon) reported the problem to me.  I had a local hardware
tech go out and
replace the drive, boot up the system, and then over the net, I rebuilt the
array.  It was back up and
running after about 20 minutes.

I did contact 3Ware tech support when this first happened, to make sure
that I was following the
steps of rebuilding the array correctly.  They responded within 24 hours,
and told me yes, I was doing
this correctly.  And I did mention to them it was FreeBSD.  At no time, did
they ever mention
that they didn't support FreeBSD.  And that 3Ware daemon works great...
Have it running on
all of my systems all over the country.

Peter

At 08:22 PM 3/20/2003 -0600, you wrote:

>Bruce Campbell wrote:
>
>>I openned a case with 3ware tech support and they responded:
>>

>>>We do not support FreeBSD plus the
>>>current driver for FreeBSD has not been
>>>updated for some time to keep up with
>>>firmware changes.
>>>Please try linux instead.
>>
>>So I guess I will try that and see what happens.
>>

>I got NO response from 3Ware when I asked them about a newer version of
>their management daemon for FreeBSD.  I consider the 3Ware cards to be
>essentially unsupported on FreeBSD.
>
>Jim

Peter Elsner <peter@servplex.com>
Vice President Of Customer Service (And System Administrator)
1835 S. Carrier Parkway
Grand Prairie, Texas 75051
(972) 263-2080 - Voice
(972) 263-2082 - Fax
(972) 489-4838 - Cell Phone
(425) 988-8061 - eFax

I worry about my child and the Internet all the time, even though she's
too young to have logged on yet. Here's what I worry about. I worry
that 10 or 15 years from now, she will come to me and say "Daddy, where
were you when they took freedom of the press away from the Internet?"
-- Mike Godwin

Unix IS user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are.
System Administration - It's a dirty job, but somebody said I had to do it.
If you receive something that says 'Send this to everyone you know,
pretend you don't know me.

Standard $500/message proofreading fee applies for UCE.