Date:      Tue, 05 Sep 2000 19:42:50 -0400
From:      amg <ursa@cris.com>
To:        Bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   kernel funkiness?

Gentlemen:

    Version:  4.1 CDROM

    Hardwar:  IBM  PPro 200MHz  64MB Ram

    Symptomes:  Though I am able to mount a CD,
                when I attempt to dd from the
                CD, /dev/cd0a, I get the error
                msg, "invalid device".  This is
                with 4.1.

                With 2.2.8, on another node, and
                with this node until I installed
                4.1, dd would, indeed, dump from
                the device to the "of=" file.

     !!         Most noticable, EVERY device in
                /dev is a character device!  Is
                this correct?

     Additionally:  The reason that I am sure about
                    dd's past behavior is that it is
                    invoked in a script that I use,
                    often, in burning CD's.

                                 august