Date:      Sun, 29 Dec 2013 22:52:13 -0700
From:      Gary Aitken <freebsd@dreamchaser.org>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Subject:   Re: epson 3880 and 4900

On 12/28/13 17:43, Warren Block wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Dec 2013, Gary Aitken wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have experience using an epson 3880 or 4900 printer on
>> fbsd? I'm wondering about drivers in particular; and access to
>> configuration options on a per-image basis. I see epson has drivers
>> for mac and win but no *nix stuff, and am wondering how others have
>> dealt with this.
>
> Gutenprint (print/gutenprint, prints from GIMP) supports the 3880,
> and maybe the 4900 series.  I've had some success with other Epson
> printers, although it's difficult to get predictable results without
> color calibration.  Actually, the latest version of GIMP and
> Gutenprint might support that now, in which case I'd like to hear how
> to set it up.

Looks like the version in fbsd claims to support the 7900 and 9900,
but not the 4900.  However, the xml files have the 7900 and 9900 using
the same ink parameters as the 3880, which is not correct, and won't be
correct for the 4900 either (there are 2 additional inks, not shown in
the ink set).  Unfortunately, that's a major problem, as the article
below shows.  I think 5.2.9 is the most recent release, and it does not
add the 4900 or fix the above ink problem.  Maybe a current development
snapshot has updates.  There may be other issues.

  http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/printers/the_epson_4900_printer_hands_on_and_down_to_work.shtml

The above review uses the native drivers; the gutenprint driver will
probably do better since it won't expect the two additional inks and
will paint based on the 8-color set.  It's my understanding the inks
are the same, there are just two additional ones.  But given that,
you will only get 3880 quality from the 4900/7900/9900 using the supplied
configs.

Gary